Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Devastated






My goal for the next few blog was going to about accepting the difference we all have, about how special each child is and what each one has to offer, regardless of ability, unfortunately I am going to blog about something so devastating that I am still in disbelief it really has happened. I was contacted by Children protective services Monday night, they told me my sweet Hannah was a victim of abuse, not by me, but by her teacher at school. This morning I met with law enforcement and they informed me of a report filed against the teacher which involved her taping my daughters hands together at the wrist in order to keep her from hitting other students, hitting her in the face with a book because she wouldn't keep the books out of her mouth, kicking her, pulling her hair because she wanted to let Hannah know how it felt, and months of verbal abuse, such as yelling at Hannah and calling her name as well as degrading her and other students in the class. The physical abuse has been happening for a few weeks and the verbal abuse has been happening for months. Typing this almost feels wrong.  I am feeling so betrayed. I feel so angry. I feel so sad that this could happen to my child. Sending your child to school shouldn't be scary, you shouldn't have to worry that the person in charge of them 6 hrs a day 5 days week would hurt them. No matter how hard Hannah can be to deal with at times you NEVER have the right to put your hands on my child (or ANY child) to harm them. The Clearwater police dept has taken the case, they have interviewed all who might have seen something and everyone else involved, the teacher, the principal. The officer told me that he feels very strongly that a crime against Hannah was committed . I was told they have a strong case even without physical signs of abuse, I have a feeling this is going to take a little time to get the situation resolved, but the teacher has been removed from the school until the investigation is completed, but it’s unclear at this moment if she will be terminated.  I have kept Hannah home today at the advise of law enforcement, needless to say  they didn't have to tell me twice. I plan on keeping her home tomorrow as well, I plan on calling the school tomorrow and speak to the principal in hope to get some answers to what will happen on their end. I will be voicing my option that she is terminated for hurting a child, not to mention a child with special needs. I am beginning to feel that if she isn't in the care of someone I am related to she is not safe. We have just had zero luck with the public school system. Prior to this being brought to light, I have been doing a lot of soul searching, the working mom thing isn't something I am happy with at this point. With all the sickness we have been dealing with and with some of the behavior issues we are having. I feel that Hannah is my number one job and making sure she is safe and taken care of is my soul purpose. Working 40 hrs a week (I feel) is preventing me from doing my "real" job.  However the financial burden it would cause us for me to quit working would be anti-productive for her well being.  Because supporting her needs would be more difficult without my income. I want nothing more than to be able to be a stay at home mom and be with her 24/7. Anyone who knows me knows Hannah is my whole world, she is the reason I breathe, she is a gift from god and she is cherished.  If nothing else I have learned that in this day in age NO ONE can be trusted. People now days have not regard for anyone but themselves. I have a lot to deal with in the next few weeks. Something things I have already give to god and I have been praying for his guidance since this situation was brought to my attention. Without his guidance I know I would have already done 101 stupid things to make the situation worse and make me look just as bad as the teacher looks. Cameras in classroom is a cause I was 100 % in support of but now you will all here me advocate that a lot more. Thanks to everyone who has already commented on the early status on FB. I am so blessed to have such supportive friends.

Liz 



22 comments:

  1. OMG, I am so sorry. That is horrific. {{hugs}} to you both. Please keep us posted on the situation, and tell us if we can help in any way (letter writing, raising heck, whatever you need.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant even start to imagine what would I do in your shoes... How could someone would hurt an inocent child and next day go back and do it again... I'm just happy that the school removed her.. Most schools tend to defend their staff and blame parents.. Be sure we will have you close in our prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHY WHY WHY was CPS the first ones you heard from??? Where was the other school staff who reported this??? UGH!!!! Several years ago my daughter Angela was assaulted by a substitute staff person. Within about 10 minutes of the incident I was called by school. By the time I got there 20 minutes later they had contacted the police, CPS and the state Dept of education who immediately started an investigation. I'm so sorry you have had to experience this. I'm so angry for your daughter that she had to experience the fear, the pain, the anxiety surrounding a school that is supposed to be a safe place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, my guess is half the behavior issues you're dealing with were CAUSED by the teacher. Yes, she may of been doing this prior, but what did the teacher to to redirect behavior? NOTHING!! She made it worse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry the person you trusted her with turned out to be this cruel and vicious. How would anyone know, they always put on a good face when talking to parents. It is a huge leap of faith to send our kids to school. My heart breaks for both of you. I hope that teacher serves some time, they have to get the message that they are not allowed to harm the children in their care, EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks you soooo much for all the support. I am soo blessed to have some many people care.!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This absolutely breaks my heart. As parents of 2 little ones with DS that are not yet school age this has been one of greatest fears about sending them to school. Our prayers are with your family as you go through the days and weeks ahead.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Liz. . . oh goodness, Liz. I am just now reading about this. I just. I am just speechless and sick. Oh Hannah, sweet baby girl. That teacher deserves jail time for assault and child endangerment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying this is all erased from your precious daughters memory.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Get a lawyer! Go after the school to pay for her to go to a private school. Liz, we don't know each other, but you can stand up and change this for a lot of kids by fighting and being loud about it. Contact the media, CONTACT A LAWYER!

    We will keep you in our prayers, I am so sorry this happened to your precious girl.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I came to your blog via a link on Facebook. I am SO SO SOOOO angry on your behalf. I don't even know what to say. If nothing else, we send our support to you and Hannah. My son Gabe, is almost eight years old and he is in Grade two. I don't know what I would do if a similar thing ever happened to him. I can't even imagine your rage and hurt at this point. Sending a big hug for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry this happened! I'm so glad for you and Hannah that this was found out. Hopefully this teacher will be terminated,she shouldn't be working with any children!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Liz,
    I'm a special education teacher. I cannot imagine seeing a child abused in my school and not intervening. I am so sorry your daughter had to experience this. I hope she will find better care in the future. And if you decide to stay home with her, remember that if you live within your means, you will be successful. It's not easy, but it's possible. Follow your heart!
    Lani

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry you have to go through this! How horrible. :( I also hate to hear moms who really want to stay home with their children but can't make it work financially. It breaks my heart. I have an 8 year old with Down syndrome and 5 other children, and thankfully I am able to stay at home with them (I have a home based business). You might want to take a look at this. I don't know if it's for you or not, but at least it's a shot at being able to stay home with your daughter. www.neweconomysolution.com/sarahhanks God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would like to share Hannah's photo and what happened to her on my blog. I hope this is okay. Please let me know if you are NOT comfortable with that and I will remove her photo.

    http://dontlicktheferrets.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I pray that God will give provision for you to be a "work-at-home" mom for Hannah. It will be a sacrifice, but if it's what God has called you to do, He will provide! Lord, give her comfort and peace going forth.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sorry this happened! That is horrible... and there are more stories like this! I work as an assistant in a special education class, and I can't imagine it happening... first of all, there are so many different teachers, related service providers, assistants, etc, in and out of the room. If one of them were to mistreat a child, I'm sure one of the others would, at least, whisk the child away and talk sense into the teacher. If others witnessed the abuse and didn't do anything, that makes it even worse!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is terrible and brought tears to my eyes as the mom of a 3 year old son with Down Syndrome...I linked here from Anna Theurer's blog about putting cameras in Special Education classrooms...praying for you as you walk through this trial...

    ReplyDelete
  20. bless both of u, My brother is special also , so i know how are feeling, am so sorry this happened to hannah, shes so pretty , sweet, always smiling, I send u prayers, he over comes the abuse of this teacher, its sad, she had no right touching Hannah, for no reason,,Ugg,,it makes me mad,,,, Sending love and hugs to u both, God bless u , being her teacher now, still giving her hope to be someone as she is,,,Hannah has a wonderful mom that loves her very much,,,

    ReplyDelete